San Antonio – Chapel of the Incarnate Word

San Antonio – Chapel of the Incarnate Word

Share/Bookmark


The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word opened the Chapel of the Incarnate Word in 1907, just 38 years after arriving in San Antonio from their native France. Designed in the Romanesque style by architect F.B. Gaenslen and under the planning supervision of Reverend J.G. Badnarek of Chicago, the chapel resembles a cathedral in its massing and scale. The imposing tower is guarded by trumpeting angels at each corner, and other statuary and symbols depict the four Evangelists. Large stained glass windows flank the outer walls, with a rosette window in the choir. The elaborate chapel interior features marble columns with gilded capitals, an embossed metal ceiling, oak choir stalls, and a 19th century pipe organ.

incarnate word San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word1 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word2 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word3 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word4 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word5 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word6 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word7 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word8 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word9 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word10 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

incarnate word11 San Antonio   Chapel of the Incarnate Word

credit: Alkula

Share/Bookmark



Relevant Articles




Leave a Reply

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Copyright © 2009-2017 MagXics – Best News, Pictures and Entertainment · All rights reserved