Strecno Castle is situated 7km from Zilina on a 103m high rock above the River Vah. The first written mention about Strecno Castle comes from 1384. It is considered to exist in the 13th century and it protected the ford throught the Vah river. The castle was a residence of Frantisek Vesseleny and his wife Zofia Bosniak, also called Saint Woman from Strecno. The castle has been in ruins for three centuries, but it still belongs among the best known castles in Slovakia. At the start of the 20th Century, the walls were preserved but the main expensive reconstruction of the castle was carried out in the 1990s and the castle was opened to the public.